Whether your ideal night in is spent entertaining or enjoying a drop of the finer things cosied up by the fire, everybody should have a go-to Old Fashioned recipe.
A drink that defined a generation; dubbed the ‘original cocktail’, the Old Fashioned has lived through many variations, from humble beginnings in the 19th century, through its use to disguise bootlegged whisky during America’s Prohibition to the cocktail’s energetic revival in the naughties. Twinning Buffalo Trace Bourbon with sugar syrup, we think our traditional take on the Old Fashioned is pretty top notch! And for when you’ve mastered this one, head to our bars for your chance to taste our WhislePig Maple Syrup and Rye Whisky version.
Tempted? Well then, get mixing!
Old Fashioned Recipe:
|Ingredients (Makes One Old Fashioned)|
|50ml Buffalo Trace Bourbon|
|10ml Sugar syrup OR 1tsp caster sugar|
|2 dash Angostura bitters|
- Put the sugar, bitters and water in a small tumbler. Mix until the sugar dissolves if using granulated.Fill your glass with ice and stir in the whisky.
- Add a splash of soda water if you like and mix.
- For the orange twist, cut a thumb-sized rectangle of orange rind, then, holding it over the glass, twist. It is important to twist over the glass so that the oil from the rind sits on the top of the drink.
- Drop the twist into the glass, stir a couple of times and serve.
- For a festive feel, swap the sugar syrup for maple syrup.